Making Sugar Wafers At Home
Are you the only one who misses sugar wafers? They were a favorite of mine as a child, but they aren’t something I enjoy anymore.
It would be a great idea to make your own. The problem is that I have never tried it. I asked my friends innovative health and fitness who are home bakers for their recipes. Luckily, one of them had a recipe that her aunt passed on to me.
Sugar Wafers aren’t as difficult as it seems.
- It’s not as difficult as I thought. If you bake often, you will probably already have the ingredients. You can always run to the grocery store if you don’t have time.
- You will need butter, sugar and eggs. It’s that simple.
- This was my first attempt at making it. I used flat wafers as I didn’t have any to use to make the wafer-y look. It was just for practice and to get the right taste.
- It turned out to be great. It was delicious with ice cream, cream, and a second one with sugar, which I then blowtorched to create a beautiful crust.
- A few months ago, while browsing Etsy, I came across a wafer cookie mold. I felt inspired to make sugar wafers once again. I quickly added a few items to my cart, and the waiting began.
- My order arrived a week later and I was ready to use the wafer mold.
- NOTE: You can use silicon baking mats with raised relief patterns if you don’t own wafer molds. You can bake them as-is, but it will still taste good.
Why I Love Homemade Sugar Wafers
- They are also delicious. Making sugar wafers at-home allows you to mix and match it with anything you want.
- Store-bought sugar wafers can be limited in their variety. Often, they are only available in chocolate, Neapolitan and vanilla.
- Wafers can be paired with many different fillings because they are neutral in taste. You can also add flavor to your wafers at home if desired.
- My first attempt at sugar wafers was with my children. I wanted to make ice cream sandwiches, while they wanted cream filling. Everyone got exactly what they wanted.
- It can be paired with chocolate sauce, peanut butter, or caramel. It was delicious with cheese once, which I thought was a great idea!
- It can be made in sheets or cut into shapes before baking. Sugar wafers can be used in so many ways and they are easy to store.